Rev. Chris Deacon began serving as the UPB Pastor in 2014. He arrived in Bowie with his wife (Heather) and daughter (Hannah), along with two dogs and a cat.
Rev. Deacon feels compelled not only to serve members of the congregation, but also the surrounding community. This is reflected by his membership on several Presbytery committees and his prior role as a volunteer firefighter and EMT. He takes a relational approach to ministry and believes that these connections allow us to minister to one another to glorify Christ and build up his church.
Ordination Date: September 28, 2008
First Presbyterian Church
Solo Pastor, Farmington, IL
Faith United Presbyterian Church
Stated Pulpit Supply Yates City, IL
2008-2010: Assembly Planning Committee, Presbytery of Great Rivers
2012: Alternate Commissioner to 220th General Assembly
2011-2014: Nominating Committee, Presbytery of Great Rivers
2011-2014: Committee on Preparation for Ministry, Presbytery of Great Rivers
2011: Spoon River Community College (Canton, IL), Emergency Medical Technician, Basic
2005-2008: Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary (Louisville, KY), Master of Divinity
2001–2004: University of Tennessee (Knoxville, TN), Bachelor of Arts in Communication
1998–2001: Volunteer State Community College (Gallatin, TN), Associates in Science
The UPB Pastoral Nominating Committee (PNC) spent over 1.5 years in faithful and dedicated service searching for the right candidate for our church. When a Call was extended to Rev. Deacon in 2014, the PNC cited several of his positive attributes:
- Chris is a passionate man of God with strong faith and a great listener.
- His sermons are very conversational and relate scripture to our daily lives. Both inspirational and interesting, his sermons frequently include humor.
- He loves giving children’s sermons, and is great at handling the “curve balls” they occasionally throw at him.
- One of his favorite times of year is Vacation Bible School!
- He enjoys working with youth and has been successful in getting K-5th graders involved in the worship service.